This is my attempt to make what difference I can against the horrendous environmental crises we are making, by sending out some food for contemplation and conversation. It began as a long letter sent out to a few dozen friends, out of the need to feel that I was at least doing something (beyond simply living my life as low-carbon as I can manage), and which I posted here as my first entry. The title of the blog comes from a story I once heard, which (as I have finally found) was adapted from an essay by the anthropologist and philosopher Loren Eiseley. The version I first heard goes like this: A father and child are walking on a beach that is covered as far as the eye can see with starfish washed ashore, dead and dying. When the child picks up a starfish to toss it back in the ocean, the father asks "Why? What difference can you possibly make, just you, with all these thousands and thousands of starfish dying?" And the child picks up another one, tosses it in the ocean, and says "It makes a difference to that one..."

Sunday, March 10, 2013

another example of the sickness of our society...

This may not be immediately obvious as global warming-related quote, but... In an article after Hugo Chavez' passing, entitled "Little Reaction In Oil Market To Chavez Death," an AP reporter wrote:

"Chavez invested Venezuela's oil wealth into social programs including state-run food markets, cash benefits for poor families, free health clinics and education programs. But those gains were meager compared with the spectacular construction projects that oil riches spurred in glittering Middle Eastern cities, including the world's tallest building in Dubai and plans for branches of the Louvre and Guggenheim museums in Abu Dhabi."

Of course, one can argue how huge a problem it is that Venezuela gets the majority of its wealth from oil in the first place... but when I heard this quote it jumped right out at me as another measure of the sickness of our society — that the Chavez government could be criticized, not for pulling all that oil out of the ground, but for not using the proceeds to build glittering construction projects and tall buildings! This one shocked even me — as Lily Tomlin said, no matter how cynical I get, I just can't keep up...

No comments:

Post a Comment